Monday, March 3, 2008

Delicious

I've just read (via Wikipedia) that del.icio.us is soon to launch a redesign. I think it needs it. They're also going to take those dots out of the site name and just call it 'delicious', which will make it a bit more palatable to me.

I've used del.icio.us for work - at two different workplaces, actually. It does work. You can share bookmarks, label them with tags and other people searching on those tags can stumble upon your bookmarks. You also might get a little thrill to find out that 'great minds think alike' - that 300 or so other people have bookmarked the same thing as you. Or, perhaps, that you are the first of many to bookmark something truly interesting.

It's never really grabbed me though. Despite various bookmarklets making it a bit quicker to submit a bookmark to del.icio.us, I am a huge Firefox fan and I love the ability to use Firefox for my bookmarks. It's hierarchical (which del.icio.us isn't) and it is native to my web browser, which reduces waiting and hassles to me. I can drag and drop bookmarks between sub-menus and I can bookmark something by dragging it to a bookmark menu right from a tab. The next version of Firefox even lets you tag your bookmarks if you choose and search those tags from the location bar. del.icio.us represents extra steps to bookmarking something and a slightly ugly interface in which to do it, and I don't find that the ability to see who else has bookmarked similar things to me really calls out to me enough to bypass my browser's safe, comfortable bookmarks.

No comments: