Friday, January 4, 2008

Myspace and Facebook

I have a Facebook account, though I don't think I am the type of person to have one. I'm a fairly private person. Unlike Myspace, however, I like that Facebook's privacy controls at least show that they care about privacy and acknowledge that there are a bunch of issues with people revealing this degree of private information about themselves.

Facebook lets you see what someone is up to without that person ever having to know. If you use Facebook, this is something you have to come to terms with. It's the same as with blogging, Twittering, or publishing anything on the web, except that it contains your real identity and your real name, and lots of personal information. You never know when someone you know is browsing around on your page to see what you are up to, and I don't know about the other punks but for someone like me that can be scary. It also treats all friends as equals, so you can't pick and choose which of your acquaintances will get to see which pictures, videos and notes.

Facebook is still a bit of an experiment for me. I use it because I kind of have to - there are people I know who only contact me through there. But it still makes me feel uneasy, which sucks.

1 comment:

Bonito Club said...

I have a couple of friends who set up aliases to use Facebook because of privacy concerns, and also because they wanted to choose who could find them.